1) How did you get started in the Boer goat industry? Uncle Izzy was the man that got me started in the Boer Goat Industry. He was the driving force behind Barlas Feeds International, and had traveled to many a country, especially Australia. When i returned to Petaluma, I needed to get back to the dirt. Uncle Izzy introduced me to the fact that goat is the number 1 eaten meat in the world..........except for the United States. My first goats were bought in 1999, from Toni and Dave Giardini ( Golden State Meats-Twin Star) and Matt and Claudia Gurin (MAC Goats).
2) What does you operation look like today? My operation continues to be focused and based on my love for the South African style of the Boer Goat and Kalahari Red. I have grand and great grand daughters of my original Boer Goats. I continue to breed not only for the South African style, but the color as well.
3) What do you enjoy the most about the Boer goat industry? I enjoy meeting new folks and showing.
4) Who was an inspiration and helped you improve your herd and how? Stephanie Barrie (Lilly Hill Farms) and Robert Bloyd (Leyland Farms) have assisted me with my breeding program. Both are very much into genetics. With their help, i have introduced herd sires, which have improved my breeding program, continuing to maintain the South African style and Kalahari Red.
5) What has been your biggest challenge as a producer? My biggest challenge in the industry is educating folks. I ask questions of the folks who want to get into the goat industry. What do they want to do with goats, land management, wether projects, commercial or show. Do they want to breed for show or buy for show? These are just some questions.
6) What are you most excited about for the coming new year? I am very excited for 2019. I almost got out of raising goats in 2016, after the vehicular calamity that killed 3 of my show does and left me fearing for my life driving 2 lane roads! 2017 and 2018 was spent moving. Now, that I am moved and somewhat settled, i am excited about showing.. I am also excited about my breeding program with Stephanie and Robert